ILTA Key Accomplishments
ILTA's 2016 Annual Report includes a comprehensive report on the association's activities throughout the year, as well as demographics on ILTA's membership, industry statistics on worker safety and compensation, and a list of the association's 2016 terminal and supplier member companies. Below are a few of ILTA's many accomplishments from 2016:
ILTA continued to protect industry interests and defend against unnecessary regulations and costly new mandates by:
- Working with terminal member companies to demonstrate to the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality industry efficiencies in controlling vessel emissions during loading operations, resulting in greater flexibility in state-issued air permits for terminal operations.
- Facilitating the participation of three terminal member companies on a small business advocacy review panel to provide input on proposed measures to modernize the Occupational Safety and Health Administration's Process Safety Management standards.
- Participating on an external expert panel resulting in significant improvements to the Department of Homeland Security's Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards screening methodology.
- Meeting with the Food and Drug Administration to provide knowledge and expertise on the terminal industry and its operations and review new compliance obligations for terminal facilities that store food-grade products.
- Serving as the industry representative in matters of national security by participating on the Chemical Sector Coordinating Council, the Oil and Natural Gas Sector Coordinating Council and the Intelligence Community’s Classified Information Forum.
Member Committees, Subcommittees and Working Groups
ILTA fully utilizes its members to identify operational best practices and support compliance with regulations and industry standards. During 2016:
- Members of the Environmental, Health, Safety and Security (EHS&S) Committee convened in San Antonio, TX, and Denver, CO, to address environmental requirements and performance, health and safety issues, facility and cybersecurity, and other matters relating to regulatory compliance.
- ILTA's Operations Council held its first face-to-face meeting in September to discuss strategies for ensuring occupational safety and examine industry metrics for measuring operational performance.
- ILTA established a new Food Safety Working Group to aid liquid storage facilities in complying with new Food and Drug Administration rules.
New Member Resources
ILTA expanded its member services with the rollout of several new resources, including:
- The issuance of ILTA Terminal Operation Series No. 28: A Guide for Developing Food Safety Plans for FDA-Regulated Liquid Storage Facilities, a reference tool for members to use in complying with new food safety regulations and developing food safety plans.
- The launch of a newly redesigned, responsive website to offer a more engaging user experience with relevant content on a wide variety of terminal industry topics, including health and safety, environmental protection and operational excellence.
- An expansion of the annual Terminal Employee Compensation and Benefits Survey to include new data relating to cost of living adjustments, severance pay and employee wellness programs.
Education and Training Programs
In 2016, ILTA:
- Launched a brand new conference series, ILTA's Leadership Forum, to provide an exclusive opportunity for industry leaders to connect with their peers, exchange information and harness the skills they need to lead their teams effectively.
- Joined the International Association for Continuing Education and Training to begin the application process for becoming an accredited training provider to be able to issue Continuing Education Units (CEUs) recognized by professional and state licensing boards.
Annual Conference and Trade Show
ILTA’s world-class conference and trade show continues to be the premier event for the liquid terminal industry. During 2016:
- More than 4,250 individuals participated in the three-day event, including nearly 300 individuals from 45 countries.
- A new educational series, ILTA's Trade Show Symposium, was launched to provide trade show attendees a platform to hear from exhibitors about the latest in equipment and technologies.
- ILTA donated $3,560 to The First Tee of Greater Houston, a non-profit youth development organization, in celebration of the 20th anniversary of ILTA's annual golf tournament.
- All conference attendees received a collectible coin commemorating ILTA's 10th Annual Safety Survey and Recognition Program, and 19 terminal member companies were recognized during the conference for their outstanding safety performance.